Virtual interviews or video interviews, which have become a vital part of the recruitment cycle, are here to stay. They are popular among both candidates and recruiters because of the convenience they offer.
The virtual hiring process includes the following steps:
- The recruiter screens job applications from various sources for a vacancy and shortlists candidates.
- Email invitations for the interview are sent to the shortlisted candidates.
- The virtual interview is conducted online.
- The recruiter makes a selection based on the interview assessment and score.
- The results are communicated to the candidates.
Interview platforms like HirePro facilitate virtual interviews. They are conducted at the beginning of the recruitment process to screen candidates and introduce the company to potential employees. Recruiters assess the skills, competencies and suitability of candidates through virtual interviews.
Video interviews are conducted in different ways:
- Live interviews that mimic in-person interviews may be conducted through interviewing platforms or video conferencing apps such as Zoom, Google Meet, etc.
- Skill assessment tests are conducted through online proctoring platforms, alongside live interviews.
- Asynchronous interviews are another method of conducting virtual interviews. Here, the candidates can complete the interview on any device at a time convenient to them.
Virtual interviews are very effective when planned and strategised well.
9 tips for effective virtual interviews
- Establish a process for conducting the interview: A clear roadmap for conducting the interview must be developed. Specific tasks must be assigned to different team members.
- Communicate the process to all team members: All team members must be informed about the end-to-end interview process and told in detail about their roles and responsibilities.
- Choose the best platform for conducting the interview: There are several virtual interviewing platforms available in the market. Selecting the right platform is critical for effective outcomes. HirePro is an AI-powered, all-inclusive remote hiring platform that offers a hassle-free hiring process.
- Test the platform: Familiarise yourself with the functioning of the platform and test how it works before conducting an interview.
- Inform the candidate about the platform being used: It is strongly recommended that the recruiter informs candidates about the platform being used. This will help the candidates to be better prepared by making themselves familiar with it.
- Share relevant details with candidates: It is a good idea to share details such as names of interviewers, expectations, etc. with the candidate. This will help the candidates assess what to expect and take steps to meet those expectations.
- Develop a standard set of interview questions: It is easier to compare different candidates if they are assessed and scored against a standard set of questions. Therefore, it is recommended that the recruiter prepares a standard set of interview questions.
- Thank the candidate and explain the next steps: Recruiters must thank candidates at the end of the interview and brief them about what is to follow.
- Provide and seek feedback: Whether a candidate is selected or not, he or she must be informed about the outcome of the interview. Recruiters can enhance the candidate experience by providing feedback to the candidates. Asking candidates for feedback about their experience helps recruiters optimise the interview process.
Technological advancements have introduced the concept of virtual interviews through recruitment platforms. Online interviews have become the preferred mode of interviewing for recruiters because they are cost-effective and they save time. Besides, virtual interviews minimise the biases in hiring and offer a great candidate experience.